There’s nothing like good old-fashioned sidewalk chalk and creating works of art is so much more fun outdoors! That’s why this summer, I have decided to revamp this beloved childhood classic by mixing up my very own DIY foam sidewalk chalk for my kids to use. I combined shaving cream, flour, glue, and food coloring to create a foam base. Then I added different colors of food coloring to make a rainbow of colors. Finally, I poured the foam chalk mixture into squeeze bottles as an easy way to use my creation. Keep these bottles on hand by your driveway for a summer activity and watch it rinse away easily in the rain or with a hose. My kids have a blast creating foam chalk art any time of day, so I’m sure yours will too!
- 2 Cups of Shaving Cream
- 1 Cup of Flour
- ½ Cup of Glue
- Food Coloring
- Squeeze Bottles
- Plastic Storage Bags
Let’s Give Them Something to Chalk About:
- Combine the shaving cream, flour, and glue in a plastic storage bag. Seal the bag closed and use your hands to combine the ingredients together.
- Open the bag and drop a few drops of food coloring into the mixture. Reseal and combine the food coloring drops until the mixture is completely colored throughout.
- Use scissors to cut a small hole in a corner of the bag and pipe the mixture into a squeeze bottle and secure the cap.
- Create a new bag and squeeze bottle of chalk foam for each new color desired.
- Keep these bottles on hand in your garage or by your driveway for everyday creating!
Looking for an additional and fun alternative to sidewalk chalk? Try making your own DIY sidewalk paint in just 4 easy steps this summer!